I love sneaking veggies in to my chocolate brownies and these zucchini chocolate brownies are by far my crews favourite. I often make a double batch and freeze them for lunchbox snacks. And if you're looking for more lunchbox recipes, be sure to check out my eBook full of healthy, freezable recipes by clicking here.
- 225g zucchini, grated with skin on (about 3 small-ish size)
- 125g wholemeal spelt flour
- 30g raw cacao powder
- 2 tspn baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 2 tspn vanilla bean paste (or 2 vanilla beans, deseeded)
- 100g dark chocolate, cut into chunks
- 40g granulated sugar, I used rapadura
- 1 large egg
- 125g butter or melted coconut oil
- 90ml maple syrup
- 5 medjool dates, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a brownie tin with baking paper.
- Grate the zucchini and then place them in a tea towel. Give the zucchini a good squeeze, so alot of the liquid comes out. Leave them in the tea towel while you make up the rest.
- In a large bowl, stir the spelt flour, cacao powder, baking powder, granulated sugar and salt. Then fold in the chopped dates, chocolate and then the zucchini. Give it a good stir so it's all well covered in the flour mixture, ensuring it doesn't clump together.
- Now stir in the melted butter and maple syrup. Finish off with the egg.
- Pour the mixture into your lined brownie tin and bake. I cook mine for 25-mins as I like it gooey; 30-35 mins will have it more cake, firm, and bronwie-like.
- Place on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes, then remove the brownie from the pan. Allow it to cool completely before slicing. Personally, I like it best the next day as it has more flavour, but I'll admit, it's seriously hard to resist.
- Alternative Flour: You can switch in and out the flour for white spelt, white flour or wholemeal.
- GF: Switch to GF mix or 115g of cassava flour.
- DF: Switch to coconut oil
- EF: Use 2 chia eggs
- Zucchini-free: Sub for grated pumpkin
- Carob: It works GREAT with carob, up it to 50g though.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 25
- Serving Size: 16
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0
- Sodium: 0
- Fat: 0
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 0
- Protein: 0
- Cholesterol: 0