A healthy slow cooker chicken curry the kids will love. I often dump everything in the slow cooker and run on to a day of work because it doesn't matter if you can't turn the cooker off after 6-hours. I've cooked it up to 9-hours and it's been fine. Here's a video of how my little dude and I make the curry. It really is easy.
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tspn turmeric powder
- 1 tspn ground fennel
- 1 tspn brown mustard seeds
- 4 tbsp chopped curry leaves, fresh or dried
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 2 tomatoes, cubed
- 1 x 270ml coconut milk
- 6 chicken legs or 500g chicken thighs
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 small eggplant, roughly chopped
- TO SERVE
- 2 handfuls sugar snap peas, sliced
- 1 cup rice & 1 1/2 cups of broth
- 1/2 cup toasted almond slivers
- If you have time, brown off the onions and garlic with all the herbs. I do that in ghee for about 5-minutes. Then into the slow cooker with everything else and let it cook on low for 6-hours. It can cook longer, so don't fear the keep warm method going on.
- When the curry is cooked, pop the rice on to cook in the broth. Then, stir through the sugar snap peas so that the curry has a lovely texture.
- Toast the almonds and use those to sprinkle over the top of the curry.
- We love curry as is, but maybe a bag of papadams or a naan bread on the side would get the kids over the line.
- I often make this spice mix up and freeze it with the chicken in bags in the freezer. That way I can just dump it (sometimes frozen) straight in the slow cooker.
- Vegetarian: Sub the chicken for pumpkin and add a tin of chickpeas to the slow cooker when it's nearly done.
- SLOW COOK - LOW : 6 HOURS
- SLOW COOK - HIGH: 3 HOURS
- PRESSURE COOK: 30 MINS WITH 1/4 TIN OF THE COCONUT MILK
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 360
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0
- Sodium: 0
- Fat: 0
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 0
- Protein: 0
- Cholesterol: 0