Quick and simple pickled onions are my thing. They make scrambled eggs taste amazing, make a regular salad something special and are just the loveliest gift for a friend. I find the mixture works great with other veggies too. I've done radishes and carrots with yummy success too! I wrote this recipe for my Meal Plan Membership crew and they have LOVED it. Go ahead pop yourself on the waitlist for my Membership here.
Oh and, have a quick watch of my video of how easy these pickles are to make over on my YouTube channel. I create lots of cooking videos for my Membership rockstars.
- 3 large red onions, peeled and sliced and cut into ½ cm rings
- 1 teaspoon sugar, I use rapadura
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup apple cider or rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 tspn ground pepper
- 4 sprigs of thyme / rosemary (optional)
- ½ teaspoon red chilli flakes (optional)
- Place onion rings in a small bowl. Pour boiling water over the onion. Make sure onions are covered. Drain after 2 minutes.
- Place sugar, salt, vinegar, peppercorns, thyme and chilli (if using) in a jar and mix well.
- Add onion pressing down the rings in the liquid and pop the lid on the jar nice and tight.
- Place the jar in the fridge and they'll be ready to munch away on in 30 minutes or so. They'll keep for 1-2 months in the fridge! The BEST!!!
These are great in
- - Chopped in rice
- - Served in salads
- - Added to salad dressings
- - On toast with scrambled eggs
- - As is (yep, I'm weird like that!!!)
- Prep Time: 2
- Cook Time: 5
- Serving Size: 20
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0
- Sodium: 0
- Fat: 0
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 0
- Protein: 0
- Cholesterol: 0