My babes love making these gut healing Orange & Kombucha Gelatin Gummies. The sweetness of orange juice and the fizz of the Kombucha is such a winner. They're a cinch to make, the fruit variations endless and boy-oh-boy will their bellies love you for making them. Take a read here of why gelatin is so great and check out the pics of us whipping them up, they really are SO EASY.
If you'd like to try some more flavours, check out my lunchbox eBook, I have a lovely berry on in there.
- 1 cup cold-pressed orange juice
- 1 cup kombucha + extra 1/3 cup (you can use water)
- 4 heaped tablespoons gelatin
- Optional: 1 tbsp honey
- Pop the orange juice (and sugar if you're using it) in a saucepan over a low to medium heat. Meanwhile, pop the 1/3 cup of kombucha into a bowl and sprinkle the gelatin over the top. Give it a good stir so that it’s all incorporated. This process is called ‘blooming’ your gelatin – basically making it soft.
- Now, spoon the gelatin into the warm orange juice and stir until all the gelatin chunks are gone, this take less than a minute (if your juice is warm enough). Then, turn off the heat and pour in the kombucha. You’re trying not to heat your kombucha too much because that will kill all the good probiotic bugs that live in it.
- Really lightly grease your moulds with coconut oil or line a 20cm-ish Pyrex container with baking paper. Then pour the jelly mixture in. I re-use my measuring cup for this, so it doesn’t get too messy. Pop the filled moulds/container in the fridge to set for 3 hours. Then, just push them out of the moulds or chop them into squares. Store them in a container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- 4 tablespoons of gelatin will make the jellies nice and firm but they’ll only stay that way if you keep them cool. So, if you want to send them to school/daycare (I do most days) make sure you have a freezer brick on the lunchbox and don’t be afraid to use 4 heaped tablespoons of gelatin, that will set them really-really well.
- Pop the orange juice and the 1/3 cup of water / kombucha in the bowl with the gelatin. Turn it onto 4 minutes, 37 degrees, speed 1. That will melt the gelatin. Pour the kombucha in with the orange juice now and stir for 5 seconds. Then pour into your moulds / container.
- Which gelatin?
- I buy the Gelpro Australian brand. I find it doesn’t ‘lump’ together like the Great Lakes version does and is still grass-fed and organic. That’s the key, you want to find the best gelatin you can, the stuff in the supermarket especially the ‘gelatin leaf’ really isn’t worth your time. It doesn’t have the goodness in there to help heal your gut. I buy the moulds from eBay (search chocolate moulds) and also Biome. The Kmart ones aren't great as they have plastic in them.