It can be a battle to try and think of techniques to make your favourite meals a little healthier.
Well, I’d love to help.
I’m starting with a family favourite, pizza. Here are 5 tips on how you can make your at home version a little healthier:
1) Make your own dough – You may be shocked to know it really doesn’t take that long to make your own dough and the best part, it’s alot cheaper than buying a pre-made base. I make mine with spelt or wholemeal flour and most often in the morning so it has time to prove throughout the day. I also love to add fresh herbs or pesto to the base to give it more flavour.
2) Grate vegetables for the topping – If you have a picky eater or just want to get more veggies in, this is a great tip. By grating the veg it keeps it small so little finger can’t pull it off and often it just cooks together in to a thin layer.
3) Use a microplane / citrus zester to grate the cheese – Too often cheese is the star ingredient on a pizza, to make it healthier you need to turn this around. Use a microplane so that the cheese you do use, goes further. I often cook the pizza and finish with this technique once it’s out of the oven to save even more.
4) Use natural toppings to increase the flavour – Have you tried balsamic vinegar or even fresh avocado on a pizza? YUM! Try this technique, it adds flavour and nutrients while cutting down on the need for processed meats to add flavour. Note I put these on the pizza once it’s out of the oven.
5) Serve it with a salad – If you’ve been following me for a while you’re used to this phrase. We eat a salad or a side of greens with every meal, the majority of nights. By serving your pizza with a salad it will fill you up and leave your belly feeling light and not at all “sluggish.”
So tell me friends, do you have any other techniques you use to make your pizza healthier? And what meal would you like to see me give some tips on next, to help make a little healthier?