Healthy Christmas Cookies
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 16
These are my always delicious Pecan and Maple Shortbread cookies, with a chocolate and hazelnut twist. Think Nutella, only healthy and a heck of a lot of fun to make with the kids.
- 70g hazelnuts, toasted and skins removed
- 90g unsalted butter, softened and cubed
- 125g wholemeal spelt flour
- ¼ cup rapadura or coconut sugar
- ¼ cup cacao or carob powder
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 180°C. In a food processor, pulse the hazelnuts until they form a textured meal.
- Add remaining ingredients and pulse until the dough comes together in a ball. Refrigerate the dough for 20 minutes or until cool.
- Roll dough to ½ cm thickness. Using a cookie cutter, cut shapes from the dough. Place on a lined oven tray and bake for 15 minutes or until just firm. Take care not to over cook these as they will break.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on the tray before serving. Storing the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature will keep them fresh for 2-3 days.
- The protein in the hazelnuts will help to maintain steady blood sugar levels. It's always worth trying to eat a protein or fat with sugar to help balance your blood sugar and keep your hunger at bay.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20