How To Make Homemade Marshmallows
- Total Time: 22 minutes
- Yield: 20
My homemade marshmallows recipe is so easy. It's gluten-free, uses just gelatin, honey and water. Watch how easy homemade marshmallows are in your Thermomix.
- 1 cup (250g) water
- 60g powdered gelatin
- 200g raw honey
- Generous pinch of salt
- Optional: Vanilla bean, food colouring, powdered flavouring.
- Go ahead and bloom your gelatin in your Thermomix bowl, with the whisk in.
- Add the honey and salt and turn it on for 10mins / 50 degrees / Speed 1. If you'd like the marshmallows to set harder so you can toast them, try: 15 mins / 120 degrees / Speed 1. Pop the basket on top, rather than the lid.
- When it's done, let the mixture cool for 10mins. When it's cool, blend for 12mins / No heat / Speed 4. I add a teaspoon vanilla or a few drops food colouring halfway through.
- Line a glass container with parchment paper and then pour the fluffy marshmallow mixture in when it's done. Pop in the fridge for at least an hour, before chopping it up and enjoying.
- See below for how to make them in your stand mixer.
STAND MIXER INSTRUCTIONS
- 1. Use 1/2 the water (125ml) to bloom the gelatin. Have a watch of my video so you can see that process.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, pop the honey, salt, and the remaining 1/2 cup of water. Heat over medium heat until you see the colour change. You can go as far to use a candy thermometer; you're after 100degrees. But I prefer just to use my eye. When it's thin and smooth and slightly darker, it's done. Set aside to cool for 10mins.
- 3. Using your KitchenAid or stand mixer on low speed, pop the gelatin in and give it a quick whizz, so it is broken up. Then lightly drizzling the honey mixture down the side of the bowl. Take your time with this.
- 4. When it's all in, pop the mixer on high for 12-15 minutes, or until it's thick and fluffy. Mine nearly comes out the top of my kitchenAid bowl when it's done; it's cool! You're aiming for peaks like stiffly beaten egg whites when mixer attachment is lifted out.
- 5. When it's done, pour it into a lined dish and then into the fridge for a good hour to set.
- Prep Time: 2
- Cook Time: 20
- Serving Size: 20
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0
- Sodium: 0
- Fat: 0
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 0
- Protein: 0
- Cholesterol: 0