Grab your slow cooker and make this delicious apple pie rice pudding. Pop everything in as you go to bed, turn it on and in the morning you'll have this delcious wholefoods breakfast. This slow cooker apple pie rice pudding recipe is a winner, so much so that you might even want to top it with a little yoghurt and eat it for dessert! If you're looking for some more breakfast ideas grab a copy of my popular ' Stace's Quick & Healthy Breakfasts' recipe eBook. today.
- 5 green apples, peeled and chopped into 2cm slices
- 1½ cups brown rice, rinsed well
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg (optional)
- ½ tsp ground cloves (optional)
- 2 x 400ml cans full fat coconut cream
- 4 -5 cups water
- 5 Medjool dates, roughly chopped
- Place half of the cut apples on the base of the slow cooker and pour the rinsed brown rice on top.
- Add the spices, followed by the coconut cream, water and dates. I often just fill up the coconut cream tins with water, it's easier! Then top with the remaining apple.
- Cook on low for 4 hours and then have it switch over to the 'keep warm' function for another 3 to 4 hours. If you don't have a 'keep warm' function, cook it for 4-5 hours hours on low and let it sit for the rest of the night so the liquid absorbs. In the morning, eat it as is or you could add some milk, yoghurt or hot water to taste.
- My babes love this pudding as is. They found it really easy to get on the spoon whereas I like mine with a generous pour of kefir and lots of nut and seeds on top – this gives me a big protein boost to get me through the morning without snacking.
- Brown rice is a great option for breakfast and is a slow cooker’s best friend. It has a lovely nutty taste, is really low in GI and is a great wholefood option for the whole family. Oh and when you can, buy the green ‘granny smith’ apples, they have a lot less fructose (the bad* sugar).
- Serving Size: 10
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0
- Sodium: 0
- Fat: 0
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 0
- Protein: 0
- Cholesterol: 0