Stace's easy fermented carrots are a weekly staple at my place. I tend to make them with a probiotic pill but if I have some kombucha or kefir on hand, I use that instead. I'd LOVE to teach you just how healthy fermenting can be for your family and how easy too! Seriously my kids help me and often I'm making it up while dinner is cooking, it really easy quick. JUMP ON THE WAITLIST HERE FOR MY FERMENTING COURSE, SO I CAN TEACH YOU A WHOLE HEAP OF EASY, FERMENTING RECIPES YOUR FAMILY WILL LOVE.
- 1 kg carrots, peeled and chopped into sticks
- 1/2- 1 tspn salt
- 1 probiotic capsule, opened up
- Filtered water, to cover
- Pop the powder from a probiotic capsule into a large glass jar with the salt and about 1/3 cup of water. Give it a quick stir, to make sure they're no chunks of the powder left. I find mine goes a little white in colour, that is 100% normal.
- Now, pop the carrots in the water and then cover it with extra water, so it’s completely submerged. If the carrots aren't staying down, use a cabbage leaf to hold down the carrots under the water line so the don’t go mouldy. Make sure you leave some a good 1cm of space between the carrots and the top of the jar. This will be perfect amount for any 'expansion' that happens with the fermenting gods do their thang.
- In the height of summer it takes just 24hrs for my carrots to ferment but in winter a good 3-4 days. You can easily check on them by giving them a taste. They’ll taste slightly ‘fizzy’ while still being crunchy and you’ll see some bubbles at the top of the jar when you open it. Once done, store them in the fridge for up to a month.
- I send these to school with the babes, I just wipe off the water with a tea towel and they love them for crunch and sip. I also grate bigger carrots and stir that through salads.
- You can also make these using kefir and kombucha. Those ways and even a few more I'll show you in detail in my fermenting course. Be sure to jump on the waitlist for my fermenting course now.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0
- Sodium: 0
- Fat: 0
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 0
- Protein: 0
- Cholesterol: 0