A healthy, gluten-free risotto in 15 minutes? Bring it on. This recipe is that and much, much more.
- 3 cups raw buckwheat
- 5 rashes free-range bacon, finely sliced
- 10 large kale leaves, finely sliced
- 2 green shallots, finely sliced
- 3 cups broth (I use chicken)
- ½ cup (total) fresh basil and flat-leaf parsley, finely shredded
- 2 tbsp Spiral Foods sundried tomato and basil olive oil (plus extra for serving)
- 30g parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Pepper, for serving
- Wash buckwheat and place in a large bowl. Cover with enough water to soak. Ideally, soak it overnight but 6 hours will do the trick.
- Drain buckwheat and set aside. Preheat a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add olive oil, bacon, kale and shallots. Cook until bacon is browned and kale is wilted.
- Add drained buckwheat and herbs to the saucepan and cover with the stock. Allow to simmer until stock is absorbed. Season lightly with pepper.
- Stir through parmesan cheese and drizzle a little extra olive oil on top.
- Although its name is misleading, buckwheat is actually not a grain. It is in fact a fruit seed related to rhubarb and sorrel. This makes is gluten free and therefore perfect for coeliacs and those who are sensitive to gluten grains.
- Prep Time: 360
- Cook Time: 15
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0
- Sodium: 0
- Fat: 0
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 0
- Protein: 0
- Cholesterol: 0