Sure there are a few steps in this easy cauliflower pizza base recipe, but let me help you look at it another way... You see, this cauliflower pizza holds together brilliantly when the cauliflower is really 'dry'. So why not do that part the night before and then pop the drained cauliflower in the fridge to really dry out overnight. That way all you have to do the tomorrow is blitz the cauliflower up and bake the pizza with perfectly dry cauliflower. Or, you could make the pizza up and do the first bake on night one and then when night two rolls around you can just top the pizza and cook it until lovely and crispy. These types of ideas are what I help all my One-On-One Health Coaching Clients master...you see; there are ALWAYS ways to speed up healthy cooking, you’ve just got to try new tricks.
PS. This cauliflower base freezes a dream too!!!!Freezes a dream too.
- 1 medium cauliflower (about 3 heaped cups when chopped)
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- ⅓ cup cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp dried Italian herbs
- Pinch salt
- Preheat your oven to 200°C and line a large baking tray with non-stick paper. Now, you want to pulse batches of the raw cauliflower in a food processor until a rice-like texture is achieved. Then pop it in a saucepan with 2-4cm of water until the cauliflower is soft. It should take about 4-5 minutes.
- Drain the cauliflower through a strainer and then pop it in a tea towel to really, really squeeze out any moisture – this is the secret to getting a crispy base. Often I'll do this step in the morning and let it drain all day, the dryer it is, the crisper your base will be.
- Then add the drained cauliflower with the remaining ingredients. Press it onto your lined baking tray in the shape of a pizza or rectangle - your choice. You’re aiming for about 8mm thick. Then it’s into the oven just as is to cook for 25 minutes or until golden and brown. Pull the base from the oven, carefully flip it over, Add your toppings (just a few) and then pop it back in the oven and bake for a following 10-15 minutes or until crispy.
- It's great with a side salad or even cut up veggie sticks for a quick meal.
- There are two secrets for the ultimate base.
- 1 - Get the cauliflower REALLY dry. That's why my trick of squeezing it out in a tea towel works a dream.
- 2 - Don't over top the pizza, it will become soggy. For me, a little ham, spinach and cheese is enough. I serve some cut up raw veg on the side and jobs is done.
- These freeze GREAT, just bake them both sides before popping in the freezer.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0
- Sodium: 0
- Fat: 0
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 0
- Protein: 0
- Cholesterol: 0