If you're a lover of tomatoes, you'll love my fermented tomato salsa recipe.
It gives the tomatoes a wonderful zing and fills the jar with gut-healing bugs. Think probiotics galore. It's really easy to make this stuff, surprisingly actually. And the best bit is that you'll see lots of 'life' i.e moving liquid and bubbles on the side of the jar within days so you know you've done it right!
Here's my jar before it ferments....
And after. See how much more liquid and life it in it.
You'll get WEEKS out of this in the fridge and boy does it take a standard meal to the next level.
Have a watch of how I make it here on my YouTube channel:
Or here is a short version on my Instagram.
Easy Recipe For How To make Fermented Tomato Salsa
- Total Time: 72 hours 10 minutes
A quick easy recipe to make lacto fermented tomato salsa.
I love fermenting my salsa, it adds a great probiotic hit to my veggies that don't just taste great, but help boost my immune system.
Have a watch of how easy it is to make and be sure to jump on the waitlist for the next time I run my fermenting course.
- 3 large, ripe tomatoes
- 1/4 red onion
- 1/2 red capsicum
- Small handful coriander
- 2 tbsp whey or sauerkraut juice
- S & P
- 1L glass jar, like the one in the video.
- 1 lime, juiced (optional)
- 1 chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- Chop your tomatoes into small pieces, roughly 1cm cubes. Chop all the other ingredients and here's the spot you can add chill or lime if you like. Pop it all in your jar.
- Using a spoon go ahead and stir the salsa and slightly push down on it so the juices come out. I add the whey at this time so it's easier to push down.
- Make sure all the salsa is under the whey, if not, add some water/ weight it down with a smaller jar. Pop the lid on tight and leave to ferment for 1-3 days. It's done when you notice bubbles moving around when you look at the side of it and often there's a clear liquid at the bottom and the tomato mixture has risen up the jar.
- It's great on toast, in tacos and with avocado for a yummy dip.
- This lasts me 3+ weeks in the fridge and I adore that the taste gets even zingier and yummy the longer it sits.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 4320
- Serving Size: 10
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0
- Sodium: 0
- Fat: 0
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 0
- Protein: 0
- Cholesterol: 0